Aburi Botanical Gardens is a botanical garden in Aburi in Eastern region of South Ghana. The garden occupies an area of 64.8 hectares. It was opened in March, 1890.
Before the garden was established, it was the site of a sanatorium built in 1875 for Gold Coast government officials. During the governorship of William Brandford-Griffith, a Basel missionary supervised clearing of land around the sanatorium to start the Botanic Department. In 1890 William Crowther, a student from the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, was appointed the garden’s first curator. The gardens played an important role in encouraging cocoa production in South Ghana, by supplying cheap cocoa seedlings and information about scientific farming methods. After Hevea Brasiliensis was sent to Aburi from Kew in 1893, the gardens also encouraged rubber production in Ghana.
Aburi is 30 Km North of Accra on the Akuapem hills at 1200 feet elevation. In colonial times, it was used at a retreat for official visitors and others who needed to escape the hustle and bustle of the big city. The town has a comfortable weather similar to that of the fall in the north eastern part of the United States, coast of France or Germany during the summer time. o a comfortable spot near the coast. The botanic Gardens attracts people from all over Ghana, as well many foreign visitors.