The National coat of arms of Ghana was designed by Ghanaian artist Amon Kotei and was introduced on 4 March 1957.

The National coat of arms of Ghana is is composed of a shield, divided into four quarters by a green St. George’s cross, rimmed with gold. The following are the symbols in the quarters and their meaning:

  • The first quarter, on the upper left shows a sword used by chiefs, and a staff, used by the linguist (known as an okyeame in Akan), at ceremonies. It is a symbol for the traditional authority of Ghana.
  • The second quarter shows a representation of Osu Castle on the sea, the presidential palace on the Gulf of Guinea, symbolizes the national government.
  • The third quarter of the shield shows a cacao tree, which embodies the agricultural wealth of Ghana.
  • The fourth quarter shows a gold mine, which stands for the richness of industrial minerals and natural resources in Ghana.
  • A gold lion centred on a green St George’s Cross with gold fimbriation on the field of blue, represents the continuing link between Ghana and the Commonwealth of Nations.
  • The crest is a Black star of Africa with gold outline, upon a torse in the national colours.
  • Supporting the shield are two golden Tawny eagles, with the Order of the Star of Ghana suspended from their necks.
  • The compartment upon which the supporters stand is composed of a grassy field, under which a scroll bears the national motto of Ghana: Freedom and Justice.

The national coat of arms can be seen at Independence Square.

source: www.en.wikipedia.org

Categories: Open Information

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.