Ghana is a country of 24.6 million people, comprising dozens of native ethnic groups, such as:
- the Akans in the centre and South of the country;
- the Ga and Adangbe in, around and East of Accra;
- the Guang peoples in the rain forest;
- the Dagombas, Mamprusi and related peoples in the North;
- the Gurunsi languages speaking peoples in the far North;
- the Gonjas in Northern Region.
English, is the official language, but the indigenous Twi of the Ashantis, the Fante language, Frafra, Dangme, Ga, Dagbani, Mampruli, Gonja and Ewe also have official status and are taught in school as indigenous (local) language in the respective areas where they xpredominate.